Thursday, May 29, 2008

Gearing Down for the Pyrenees

I am taking the month of June off. No races. I will, however be riding. A 40th birthday present - to ride through the Pyrenees from the Mediteranean to the Atlantic. I have been riding easy without HR monitor and most often without the cyclocomputer. I will take my Garmin to document my journey and update my blog as my internet connection allows. Today's ride, I took the Garmin just to tool around the neighborhood and drop down into Snohomish. I have yet to discover the shortest path from Mill Creek to Cathcart, yet today yielded promising results. I took 156th - lots of construction - and cut through Forest View Elementary and Gateway Middle School. It appears that Silver Firs to 153rd down Snohomish Cascade Dr and South on 65th Ave SE connects with 164th. On the other side of Hwy 9 is the "Wall" - a great place to practice short, very steep climbs.
I did not climb the wall today, I went down Hwy 9, doubled back on Old Broadway and down Springgetti to Airport road in Snohomish. Unfortunately, the railroad crossing into Snohomish is closed for road construction. That crossing could use a serious upgrade. Nice timing before the Flying Wheels Century. It is amazing how much traffic builds up out here around Hwy 9. I took Springetti Road back up and crossed Hwy 9 at Larimer Road. When I turned up 56th to climb back up toward home, I forgot to shift into the small ring. I was not paying attention and just stood up. That climb is a lot easier on fresh legs, I was surprised that I could climb in such a gear- cross chain and all. http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/invitation/email/accept.mb?senderPk.pkValue=158823&unitSystemPkValue=2&episodePk.pkValue=5794283

I think that I have completely checked out already. As far as I am concerned, I am in Spain. We will have to assess where I am at in July before I sign up for the Skagit Omnium. I will miss the MOE and Methow Valley. Plan on next year. I will work on bettering my Mt Baker climb in September. It would be great to actually ride with people I know this year.

No comments: