Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Remembering The Pyrenees


I've been back for some time now, and finally I'm getting around to the blog. The trip through the Pyrenees was my vision quest - to find myself. What I found was not what I expected. Waking every morning with one sole purpose: to ride, is now just a dream. Riding everyday with a consistent group and challenging terrain that would extract its toll from my body with ease. I would tell people that I rode at a "social pace," yet those on the trip would tell another tale. I enjoyed every moment of it and have no regrets...I'm just happy to be alive.

It is impossible to take it easy, with ghosts tickling the back of your neck, spurring you onward. Famous climbs such as Col de Portillon, Peyresourde, Aspin, Tourmalet, Aubisque, Marie-Blanque and Bagargui. I admit that I climbed these mountains only so that I could descend them. Inspired by the greats, I did things that would get a sane man put away. Perhaps, that is why I am so mellow right now. I have no desire to race for the time being. I am happy to be back with the family and content for the time being.

No comments: