Sunday, April 13, 2008

Licking my wounds



Fortunately I have no physical damage, only the mental anguish of blowing a race with less than 1:30 to go. Lots of time to think on that one. Back to training.





Planned on an easy ride just to get some miles (60) in preparation for Walla Walla. Lucked out on the weather, stayed dry and ran into good company. Then the oh shit factor kicked in when I got carried away talking with some friends while heading the opposite direction. Turned around and picked things up a bit. My wife had reminded me that we were taking the kids to the children's theater - she really hates the bike, it is the other woman.

I headed out from the house and cut down Seattle Hill Road and across Marsh Road to Snohomish. Looking for some easy flat terrain just to spin along. At about 10 miles into the ride, I spotted another rider heading for the Centennial trail in Snohomish. I did my own thing for a while, then I realized that I have seen this guy before in Everett: Litespeed with Spinergy wheels, Excel kit. Nice fellow originally from Britain, raced track and had impressive palmares as a masters in 2k pursuit. We kept it at a social pace, clearly he is wiser and more experienced a cyclist than I. We made our way up to Arlington and back to Machias when I ran into another group of riders that I wanted to touch base with.

I turned around and started to relay my experience at Volunteer Park yesterday. I used ride regularly with these guys from the Bicycle Centres in Everett. Nick wanted to talk about Walla Walla and his expectations there. He is a good strong climber and is consistent in TT he wants to place in the top 3 at WW. I keep hearing that from so many cat 4 riders. I kept a social pace until I realized what time it was and turned around. I ran into another Hygienist on the way and had to say hi.

I kept the pace brisk and targeted every rider I could see, on to the next one. There's another Wines jersey - Nic on his TT bike recovering from his hill repeats at High Rock yesterday, no Crits for Nic. Overall, a very social day. I really need to watch where I ride.

Maintained a moderate to brisk pace back out Marsh Road and up Seattle Hill Road, practiced some crit turns in the neighborhood just to round out my 60 mile ride. My legs feel warm, not too tired, but relaxed. I nearly fell asleep in the children's theater though...something about "If You Give A Pig A Party".

No comments: