Saturday, April 12, 2008

Volunteer Park Crit










Where's the Beef!




No results yet to speak of. I finished with the pack, skirted around the crash with 10 laps to go and reeled in two riders that tried to break with two laps to go. I pussed out and expected someone to pull me the rest of the way. Basically it was just a race to the corner, then the next corner, I should have just dug deeper. I thought that I could let 5-6 riders go by and tack on to the last one - wrong.



How many times would I hear on your left or on the inside, when I was on the inside. Bitch #1 why do the cat5 and unattached combine with the cat 4?



We had plenty of riders (83). I did manage to find ways to rest, even on the hill. I know that I could have pushed harder, but more importantly I need to keep working smarter.



I arrived early, spent 20-30 minutes going over the course, lined up in the forward quarter of the pack and promptly forgot to start my computer. I did not look at it until 23 minutes to go. My eyes were busy on the road and riders around me. I was expecting things to pick up during the last 5 laps and was prepared and rested. I managed to move through the pack with a false sense of confidence that I could do it again during the last lap. I started off the last lap on the lead, but honestly did not know what to do with it, so I sat up.



Bottom line: Pack finish, avoided crashing, worked within the pack.

(I'm on the far left of the screen.) Here is a picture of me trying to let 5-6 riders go by me to get a better position and rest.



(I'm third guy from the left). Here's a picture of me getting absorbed by the pack and essentially losing any chance at a good position. I can see Brad's helmet in the center - orange and blue.

I could see the finish at this point, but was essentially blocked out before the corner and could never really apply any power. If you look closely, I am behind the unaffiliated rider in blue 20 or so back. My red frog on my right sleeve is visible as is my red (Kyrium ES) front hub. Ouch

Alec was a little miffed that the officials credited me for his 10th position finish. He is number 719 and I am 729 - this was corrected. Duane is visible as well. He did his best to keep me from blowing it earlier on in the race.

1 comment:

Andrew F Martin said...

I just missed your finish - kids can slow you down you know?

I talked to Duane a bit, and he confirmed that you were plenty strong, just lacking a little patience in the race. It sounds like that move at the end was tough to say no you. Sometimes you just need to go on faith that someone else will bring it back and be a little selfish for yourself. If you have a plan, you should try to stick with it. I bet that effort you used to bring back the move would have been enough to break free and get yourself a result - you were in good position all day which is great. It's a bit hard to make that commitment sometimes to let something go, but you learn that patience is sometimes the biggest skill to learn in these races.

With Walla Walla - I believe the RR is a hilltop finish which should further play to your physical strength. It will also unfortunately challenge your strategic issue. You NEED to be patient on that climb. It's a long finishing climb, usually with a headwind, and there will be pretenders that will blast ahead early and die hard. Like a crit - top 10 is where you need to be, and NOT on the front. There are other good climbers out there - follow wheels, and bust your move when you are within sight of the line for the win. Winning that RR with a huge field will be big upgrade points and will probably factor heavily in the overall since there will be time gaps.

The TT - don't start too fast - that's always and issue. Remember your HR is on quite a lag, so don't jump to bring it up to your LT. Gradually brining it up will be key to maintaining max power throughout the entire ride.

Crit - top 10 all day, but never on the front. It's a tough corse to get away on, but being top 10 on the last lap is key. You can win coming out of the last corner first.

PLEASE - be selfish. You can win.